Friday, January 14, 2011

Blessed

Yesterday on the morning show, we shared the latest news (or non-news) on the adoption front.   It was so wonderful to connect with other listeners who have been in the same boat in one way or another.  It is such a gift to be a little fly on the wall and get to hear so many wonderful stories and amazing journeys.    I wanted to share one e-mail in particular I received yesterday.  It's written from the perspective of a sibling,  and his reflection on the waiting period.   He was in fifth grade at the time, and it reminded me of my oldest son Gabriel who is now in the fourth grade.  By the way, tissue alert warning about the song "Blessed" .  I have heard that song a million times but must've missed the message or not paid attention to the lyrics.  I cried buckets.
Brian writes:

"My family adopted my little sister from China in 1996. I was in fifth grade at the time, but I can still remember much of the adoption process pretty vividly. I remember well how difficult it was to be patient and to wait all those months prior to her coming home to us. When we finally got our referral, we had little more than a wallet sized picture, but we clung to that picture we everything we had. We made dozens of copies and blew it up (and we didn't even care that it was grainy and blurry at a larger size). We hung that picture everywhere and gave it to everyone because it was our only connection to the little girl on the other side of the world who was soon to become a part of our family. There's nothing anyone can say to make the time of waiting any easier, but I did want to share a song with you that we found to be very meaningful throughout that time. It's called Blessed by Elton John. Here's a YouTube link.    When we were waiting for my sister to come home, we bought the CD of this song and every time it came on the radio we would turn up the radio loud and the family would sing along as we waited for this girl who was still little more than a "child in our head".  You, your family, and your new child will be in my thoughts and prayers as you embark on this journey. Thank you for being so willing to share your story with us all - I love recalling all the memories of my sister as you share your story with us.

Peace

Brian"

Thank you Brian!  What a beautiful e-mail.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful email. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See? God is working in His mysterious ways to keep your spirits up. This time through Brian. What a great email from a special young man!

    ReplyDelete

Voting

Followers